Sunday, January 2, 2011

Getting Started

Ok so this blog/info spot is for all of you who keep asking me how I stay fit. I don't really stay fit, I just work out very hard when I do work out so I can support my atrocious eating habits. However, I am determined to make my family healthier, and it is now my New Year's Resolution to work out in the winter. I normally keep it to the tamer months, starting in May and going until October, but metabolism being what it is at 30, I am forced to work out in the winter months. BUT the good thing is that I'll have ALL of you with me!!! My goal is to give you the workouts I will be doing for several weeks and then change them up. I also hope to have a healthy recipe posted for you every now and then. That's the goal. Reality will most likely look drastically different. If you want to really keep track of your weight, measurements and calories burned vs. intake, you need to sign up (for free) on myfitnesspal.com. That's a great site and has a lot of restaurant information as well. You can weigh in or take your measurements, however you like to calculate change whenever you want. Also, you can choose who views your information and how much you share. I think there's an app for an iPhone too if you're interested.

For now, though, we are starting this year off slowly and working primarily on the midsection which is typically our major issue this time of year. Make these as difficult as you'd like. Certainly don't go any easier than what I'm listing. You'll be officially lame. If you don't think you have time, just think about the number of songs you'd listen to until you're done. Like 20 minutes = 5 songs or so. I'll put it into number of songs too. As an aside, if you have a hard time fitting a daily dose of scripture into your lifestyle, this might help too - get some devotional podcasts or CD's.

This week:
MONDAY - Cardio (moderate, like jogging or swimming or an aerobics class or DVD or the Wii - I do kick boxing.) for 30 minutes (6-8 songs). Then do the Ab Circuit for 1 set (to be explained later).
TUESDAY - Cardio (moderate) for 20 minutes (5 songs). Then do 20 minutes (5 songs) of total body strength (I'll let you know what I decide to do probably after I do it that day).
WEDNESDAY-Cardio (high-intensity, like jumping rope, sprinting, hiking or running up and down your stairs) for 5 minutes (1-2 songs). Then do the Ab Circuit for 2 sets.
THURSDAY - OFF - look a break!! OR you can do some type of stretching like Yoga or something.
FRIDAY - Cardio (moderate) for 20 minutes (5 songs). Then do Total Body strength, yes, it will most likely be different from Tuesday because I get bored. Do that for 20 minutes (5 songs).
SATURDAY- Cardio (light, like walking or riding a stationary bike or an old Jane Fonda VHS) for 45 minutes. I'll probably either do 20 minutes of high intensity or 30 minutes of moderate intensity. Then do two sets of the Ab Circuit.
SUNDAY - OFF - enjoy the Lord's day and take a well needed break!

Ab Circuit 1 set:
1. Scrabble Ball - get into plank position on a balance ball with hands under shoulders and legs extended. Make sure your back is straight and your head is in line with your spine. With your feet on the ball, move the ball to spell out the letters of the alphabet.
2. Rock and Roll - Lie face up with legs together, toes pointed and arms extended overhead by ears, hands stacked (like you're about to dive into a pool). Engage abs and lift both legs and shoulders about 6 inches off ground, slowly rocking body back and forth. Do 10 reps.
3. Around the World - Lie back on top of a stability ball, butt slightly off edge of ball, feet hip-width apart on ground. Extend arms overhead in line with ears. Rotate upper body in a circular motion to the right, up, left and back. Do 10 full circles then switch sides and repeat (so do 20 full circles on each side).
4. Glute Bridge - Lie face up with arms by sides, knees bent and feet flat. Engage abs and glutes and SLOWLY press hips toward sky, forming a straight line from knees to shoulders. Hold for 3 counts; lower. Do 12 reps. For a challenge, do the bridge with one leg lifted.

Ab Circuit 2 Sets:
Perform all of the above in that order and then the following:
5. Horizontal Plank - Get into plank position. Holding a dumbbell in left hand, slowly lift left arm straight out to side at shoulder height, keeping hips and core still. Lower arm. Do 10 reps staying in plank. Switch arms and repeat.
6. Stand-Up - First squat holding a dumbbell vertically at your chest. Squat lower and as soon as your butt touches the ground bring your knees into your chest and roll onto shoulder blades. Then extend the dumbbell overhead. Place feet on the ground and roll back up to start. Do 8 reps.
7. Windshield Wipers - Lie face up with legs extended over hips, arms extend at shoulders, abs engaged. Keeping legs together, slowly lower legs to the left, as close t the ground as possible. Use core muscles to lift legs back to center, then lower to the right. Do -12 reps, alternating sides.
8. Ball Opposites - Lie face down on top of a stability ball with palms on the ground under shoulders, legs extended and toes on ground. Squeeze glutes to lift right leg straight up while extending left arm out in front, keeping abs tight, shoulders relaxed and head in line with spine. Hold for 1 count; lower Switch sides, repeat. Do 16 reps, alternating sides.

This work out regiment was taken from Fitness magazine. It claims, "trim an inch off your middle in just 4 weeks." Well, let's put it to the test. Everyone get out a measurement rope and measure your middle. In 4 weeks measure it again. I'll give you next week's plan as well as the all over toning in a little bit. I have to figure out what I want to do yet. I have until Tuesday afternoon :)

The food to concentrate on for the next four weeks: yogurt (Preferably Greek, but whatever), avocados, apples and 2 tablespoons of peanut butter a day or 1 tablespoon of olive oil a day if you're allergic. Eggs, chicken and fish are awesome because it takes more energy for your body to digest the protein. We just bought 1/2 a cow, so it's a red meat diet for us for a while, but hey, I'm low on iron anyway!

Doing Abs 3 times a week is a challenge for me because unless I'm involved with corporate ab work (like in a fitness class or something) I NEVER do them because they hurt and I don't like it. HOWEVER I'd rather do abs than run in the winter, so here I am. Who's with me??

2 comments:

  1. Oh boy... you're starting to scare me :) I guess I better start doing the abs!!! I didn't even run yesterday OR today, which just may not be the start to 2011 that I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be fine! I just need to run in snowpants... :)

    ReplyDelete