Thursday, February 24, 2011

Yeah! New Month = New routine!

Seriously, I was thinking today, there is NO WAY I want to do one more day of the Bikini Body Countdown Month 1 workout AGAIN. Lo and behold, what did I see in my mail pile? SHAPE Magazine with Month 2! I was very excited! Here's some interesting things, in case you're wondering: No, I did not get up early today. I am fighting a cold. BUT I will workout this afternoon when the kids are in bed. That's priority number one.

The reason it's priority number one is because of this quote from SHAPE, "20 minutes of daily exercise (just 4-5 songs!!) can cut sick days in half. That's if you're working out at a moderate intensity (or higher) for most of your sessions. Plus, when regular exercisers do get ill, their symptoms are 41% less severe than those of their couch-potato counterparts. Researchers say that every time you work out, the circulation of bacteria-and virus-fighting cells in your body increases, and over time that bolsters your immunity against colds." HOWEVER, keep this in mind, if you're already ill, "Experts say you should skip your workout, if you're coughing, achy or have a fever." Now, I'm no expert, but running even a little (although it's snowy and like 2 degrees out right now so that won't be happening) when I'm sick, helps me cough out the crap, so if you're into that, I say go for it, just don't go as hard. If you're achy, why not do stretching things? That always makes me feel better. If you have a fever, go to bed.

Without further adieu, here's the new workout for the month: I'm including the challenge move that they say they've added "if you want to do it." You all can take it, so we're adding it and I'm not telling you which one it is so you won't know which one is optional or not! :)

Do 1 set of each move in order. Repeat the series twice. Do this two or three times a week. You need a set of 5-8 pound dumbbells (go ahead and use more if you've got them!!), weighted ball (I don't have this, so I'll just use a "heavy" dumbbell) and a stability ball. Four or Five times a week do a cardio workout. Apparently you can find some at shape.com/bbc2011. I'm going to look that up later. In between each move you will be doing the 180 plyos, so I'll describe those first:

180 Plyos:
  • Stand with feet wide, toes turned out. Squat.
  • Then jump up and turn 180 degrees.
  • When you land, lower into a deep squat immediately.
  • Jump back to the starting position.
  • Do 20 jumps (10 to each side).

1. Around the World - another entire body warm up. I think I'll still do the first exercise from the last month too because when I added dumbbells and ankle weights, it really did a lot for my balance as well as my core (meaning from armpits to hips, front and back).

  • Stand with feet hip-width apart and hold a stability ball at chest height with arms extended.
  • Keeping your hips squared forward the entire time, bend over from hips, reaching ball in front of you.
  • Lean over to the right, then reach ball overhead.
  • Arch back slightly, then lean over to the left and forward again.
  • Repeat.
  • Do 8 circles in each direction

2. Push-Up to Plank - I'm modifying this one to add dumbbells after I get the hang of it a few times.

  • Get in push-up position on the ground with your feet on a bench or a step, hands slightly wider than shoulders.
  • Lower chest toward floor (drop to your knees if necessary, just don't tell me).
  • Press up and rotate body to the right.
  • Extend right arm up and hold for one count.
  • The another push-up and turn to the left to complete 1 rep.
  • Do 5-6 reps.

3. V-Squat - No, not like Jillian's Shred Squats with a V Raise - those officially suck, "but very, very effective." If I hear her say that one more time I'll pull out my hair. I get it, they're effective, but they are also "very very painful!" Truth be told, these don't look like much fun either.

  • Stand with feet wider than shoulders in front of a bench or chair.
  • Hold a dumbbell in each hand.
  • Raise arms to shoulder height as you squat until butt barely touches the bench.
  • Immediately rise up and lower arms.
  • Do 12 reps.

4. Weighted Pullover

  • Hold a 5 to 8 pound weighted ball (or use a dumbbell) behind your head, so your upper arms are even with your ears.
  • Keeping our lower body still, quickly bring your arms down in front of you, as if you were going to throw the ball on the ground (don't let it go!).
  • Return to the starting position and repeat.
  • Do 3 sets of 10 reps.

5. 3-way Pulse on Ball - this one might hurt...

  • Center your left side on a stability ball, left knee on the ground.
  • Extend right leg out almost parallel to the ground.
  • Lift and lower leg several inches 5 times.
  • Bring it forward and lift and lower leg several inches 5 times.
  • Extend your leg back and lift and lower leg several inches 5 times.
  • Do the whole series 4 times.
  • Switch sides to complete the set.

6. Tuck to Kick

  • Get in plank position with hands directly under shoulders on a bench.
  • Balance on toes.
  • Draw right knee in toward right elbow.
  • Contract your abs then extend your leg back and up as you shift hips up in an inverted "V."
  • Repeat.
  • Do 10-15 reps.
  • Switch sides to complete set.

7. Bridge Walk - this is important for ridding yourself (and myself!!) of the love handles. I'd do this during a favorite portion of your favorite song you work out to. It may not be the full 60 seconds, but it's the last move and you'll be excited to do it. Do it a couple times if the section of your song is only like 20 beats or something.

  • Lie face up with feet flat on a low bench or step, arms at sides.
  • Lift hips several inches and lift left foot then right foot a few inches off the step.
  • Try to "walk" as quickly as possible for 60 seconds keeping hips up.

Have fun in month two!! I think I'll take a picture (and NOT post it) of how I look in my bikini - that I only wear on vacations where I don't know anyone - and then take another one in 4 months from now to see if this works. If it doesn't work, I won't buy SHAPE again, but if it does work, then I'll be a lifetime reader :) Happy working out!!!

By the way, apparently, the link to the right for SHAPE 2011 Workout automatically updates each month, however, it is in reverse order, so you have to start at the bottom. Enjoy!!

1 comment: